The National Government Affirmative Action Fund (NGAAF) is a semi-autonomous government agency (SAGA) under the Ministry of Public Service, Youth and Gender Affairs, in the State Department of Gender Affairs. The Fund was enacted through Legal Notice No.24 of the Public Finance Management Act, 2012 and published on 13th February 2015. The Fund is governed by the Public Finance Management Act, 2012 (National Government Affirmative Action Fund), Regulations 2016.
The Fund is one of government initiatives anchored on the Vision 2030 development blue print under the Social Pillar to address the plight of vulnerable groups by reducing poverty and inequality through enhanced access to financial facilities for socio-economic empowerment among women, youth, Persons with Disabilities, needy children and elderly persons in the country.
The Fund also provides an avenue for promotion of enterprise and value addition initiatives.
To improve livelihoods of vulnerable women, youth, persons with disabilities, children and the elderly for socio-economic empowerment through financial support for inclusive and participatory sustainable development
A transformative Fund for
an Empowered Society
Mandate and Object of the Fund
- Enhancement of access to financial facilities for affirmative groups
- Support of value addition initiatives by the affirmative action groups;
- Socio cultural development and nurturing of talent for affirmative action groups including promotion of art, music and sports
- Enhancement of access to services for survivors of gender based violence, female genital mutilation, child or forced marriages through establishment of rescue centers and legal aid centers and other similar facilities.
- Support of affirmative action groups through bursaries and scholarships to access education opportunities.
- Establishment of drugs and substance abuse and rehabilitation and counseling centers in conjunction with relevant government agencies.
- Conducting civic education and community sensitization on National Government affirmative Action programmes and policies: and
- Any other function necessary to give effect the provision of this paragraph.